Failure to Launch

11 February 2012

When I started thinking of starting this blog, I thought, "Hey, this is something that would be fun, keep me accountable and help build my confidence." True on two counts. 

Finding ways to take pictures of myself in outfits that don't look like a bad Myspace knockoff is hard. 
And awkward. Oh, how awkward.

Last night my husband comes home and reminds me that we are going to dinner with his parents. Free dinner! I asked where and he mentioned a very small town about 20 minutes south of where we live. I said sounds great, let me put on some jeans and a shirt. Wrong.

As I'm figuring out what I want to wear, he walks in dressed almost as nice as the night of our rehearsal dinner. If you have to know anything about my husband, know this: His idea of a 'nice' outfit involves a v-neck tshirt from Target and dark jeans. I panic a little, and ask what kind of place IS this, exactly. He then tells me three things:

1. "It's a really nice steakhouse."
2. "Just put on some pants or something."
3. "We have to leave in 10 minutes."

Frick.

I am standing in front of my closet with no makeup on, my hair in a ponytail and house shoes. And now I'm panicking.

I pull something together, manage to look halfway decent considering my time crunch, and we get out the door. When we arrive at the restaurant, his mom tells me I look cute and 'old fashioned', and on the way home, my husband tells me I look 'retro chic'. In good faith, I'm taking these both as compliments. 

On a side note, it's good I wasn't driving, because when the words 'retro chic' left his mouth, I momentarily went deaf and blind. MY husband just said 'chic'? Bless his heart for humoring me through all of this.

When we get home, I think to myself, "Well, if I'm going to start this, I might as well get a snapshot of my ten minute outfit to start." One big detail I didn't think about- my camera was a decent point and shoot in 2004. My phone takes better quality photos than that thing. So I ask my husband to get a shot of me to see what it looks like.

I have seen undercover journalists get better shots in the darkest brothels of Eastern Europe than what came up on my screen. The picture quality was 'rough' at best, and the actual photo itself looks like it belongs on a Russian mail order bride site. Poorly lit, taken in a corner of my house, at a crooked angle. And my poses? Oy. No Photoshop program can dig me out of this one. Whoopsie. 

I have been looking for a better quality camera, preferably a starter DSLR, and will be posting more pictures after that. For now, I will be posting pictures of the elements and how they were put together. My apologies.

Buuuuuut, in the meantime, you can add me to your Bloglovin and get updates on when I post!

AZUWH92WRBAN


1 comment:

  1. I feel you! No matter how adorable or 'retro chic' you look, a crappy camera shot will always make you feel like a hobo. Stupid cameras. Can't wait to pics of your outfits!

    -MishMash

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground