The Mannequin Challenge

03 April 2012

Quick: Stand still in a crazy pose. Got it? 

Now layer on 3 tanks, two blouses and top it off with a blazer. Now I want you to put some some brightly colored pants with two belts, and layer on a few hundred necklaces. Feel like a mannequin yet? 

I don't know about you, but I see mannequins with their crazy poses and multiple layered looks and think... ain't happenin. First of all, layers like that in the Texas heat simply will not fly. Second, how many people do you know would look good wearing half their closet?

Anyone remember this scene from Friends?? 

Then why in the world would we want to see mannequins dressed like that? Poor girls have to be melting under those hot lights. Not to mention the knotted up clothing pressing into their back has got to really suck after a while. 

So here is my challenge to you, reader, blogger, anyone who wants a challenge:

Next time you're out shopping, I want you to find a mannequin, and I want you to try on the exact outfit they have on. It may look silly, it make look fantastic. You don't know if you don't try.

'Well what if I look ridiculous?' you ask. Well it's your lucky day, because I have a solution. 

I want you to take a look at yourself. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? What would you do to change it, make it more functional?

Now, restyle it to suit your body and style, and post the picture(s) on your blog with details on how you changed it up. 

There are three pictures you must get:
  1. The mannequin wearing the outfit
  2. The mannequin's outfit on you
  3. How you restyled the original outfit
Photo courtesy of Hijab Style
So why all of this, you ask? 

First, the overly thin, built-to-wear-clothes mannequin is not an accurate representation of real women. Obviously. So of course she can wear four shirts and look flawless. For us real women, with lumps and bumps (both real and imagined) we learn how to dress to show our best selves, while still maintaining comfort and functionality. 

Second, this is a chance to try something different, and maybe walk away with more perspective on your body, your style and maybe a piece of clothing you would have doubted upon first glance.

I nothing else, you get a good laugh and material for a blog post!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea!! I think that ALL the time... no one is comfortable in that many layers.
    I'm in! I'll be doing this this week sometime and I'll let you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha this is the best. I might have to try the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground